Exemption Status: Exempt
Supervisor’s Title: Assistant Vice President
Job Description Summary:
The Senior Underwriter is responsible for the day-to-day management of a book of environmental liability as well as mentoring junior staff. This includes leading a team of associate underwriters and analyzing, underwriting, and pricing individual accounts in order to build a profitable book of business.
Relationship management and marketing also makes up a key responsibility of Senior Underwriters to ensure the market is aware of our products and services.
This position will also assist in strategic planning with senior management to provide market intelligence and accurate data in an effort to ensure Align is in position to take advantage of current and future market conditions as well as leveraging select carrier relationships to provide the broadest and most profitable products possible.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Underwrite, manage and service an Environmental Liability renewal book and produce new business in accordance annual budgets.
- Exercise discretion and independent judgment in the analysis and evaluation of risk.
- Participate in roundtable discussions on risk assessment.
- Negotiate with producers within the limits of delegated authority and in accordance with established underwriting standards to achieve profit objectives.
- Build and enhance relationships with assigned brokers and clients to identify and establish new distribution relationships.
- Maintain expertise with the products, services, priorities and target markets to more effectively enable clients to value environmental liability exposures.
- Promote the company’s expertise by participating in industry conferences and events while regularly conducting and taking leadership roles in client and broker meetings to educate on environmental liability insurance underwriting.
- Maintain compliance with all internal and external underwriting guidelines and legal requirements.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A minimum of 5 years Environmental Underwriting experience
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills with the ability to perform accurate mathematical calculations.
- Strong collaborative skills in a fast-paced team-centric environment.
- Business development skills evidencing a successful track record driving profitable growth.
- Strong interpersonal, presentation, written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to demonstrate critical thinking, decision making, and problem-solving skills.
- The ability to travel a minimum of 25% of the time is anticipated.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent amount of market experience is required.
- Continuing education, professional designations, or related P&C licensing in insurance underwriting are preferred.