FLSA Status: Exempt
This position is responsible for the leadership, direction, coaching, and counseling of their technical underwriting team. Additional focus is placed on developing a profitable book of business by building relationships with internal and external stakeholders to source high quality submissions, determine/prioritize submissions to be underwritten, and ensuring appropriate business is written and retained within their assigned territory. Responsible for creating consistency in underwriting decisions through coaching, reviewing applications, development/implementation of underwriting guidelines, policies and procedures, and training as necessary to accomplish organizational goals.
- Establishes the underwriting strategy in collaboration with the peers and SVP.
- Manages, monitors and directs the daily workflow of team members.
- Guides staff and authorizes underwriting decisions for accounts within their authority.
- Monitor financial and service results within assigned territory to ensure performance goals and targets are met.
- Facilitates cooperation and communication between the independent agents and company.
- Conducts underwriting and service quality audits to ensure compliance, consistency and high performance across team.
- Monitors training needs of underwriting staff and coordinates training accordingly.
- Collaborate with agents, Sales Managers, Product Managers and other partners to manage and grow a profitable book of business.
- Evaluate new and renewal accounts that are above the authority of the Underwriting Technician.
- Participate and provide input in regularly scheduled departmental meetings involving collective decision making.
- Communicate underwriting positions, risk appetite and company value proposition to agents.
- Develop strong, long term relationships with agents to profitably grow a book of business.
- Provide superior service to external and internal customers.
- Participate in special underwriting projects as needed.
- Works with IT partners to create requirements documents for product enhancements and defects
- Bachelor degree from an accredited university in insurance, risk management or related field.
- 5+ years of Property/Casualty Insurance Company, Agency or Brokerage experience with working knowledge of property/casualty lines of business, product features, forms, regulatory environments and risks etc.
- CPCU or other insurance related coursework preferred.
- Must have good organizational skills and be able to make independent decisions.
- Excellent leadership qualities with the ability to motivate staff.
- Must have the ability to handle difficult situations in a diplomatic manner and use negotiation skills in the resolution of underwriting and agency differences.
- Ability to work in dynamic, rapidly changing environment, adapting to changing requirements and collaborating with a wide range of colleagues to quickly deliver solutions.
- Very strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Highly motivated and results-oriented.
- Comfort with analytical tools and technology.
- Demonstrated customer service experience.